Rather than recording an album featuring the Broadway cast, Andrew Lloyd Webber decided to record a Concept Album for the New York production. Titled Music and Songs from Starlight Express, several songs were re-recorded to be stand-alone. It features artists such as El DeBarge and Harold Faltermeyer and is the only album to feature Earl Jordan's version of "Engine of Love". Recorded at the Hit Factory in New York and released by MCA Records in 1987.
According to Andrew Lloyd Webber in the liner notes:
- "Ever since 'Jesus Christ Superstar' was issued as a record prior to its stage production (because Tim Rice and i couldn't find a theatre producer who would touch it), the idea of the concept album of a musical has taken root. the last album i was involved with of this kind of 'Evita' in 1976, but i am now involved with a concept album with a twist. it is being issued after 'Starlight Express' opened in London and New York. the album is primarily a re-working of some of the songs by Phil Ramone and the team of artists and musicians he has assembled, plus the contributions of El DeBarge and Harold Faltermeyer. it does not pretend ot tell the show's story, rather it presents the songs as songs. The track "Engine of Love" was produced by myself in 1977. it features Earl Jordan who has the unusual gift of being able to sing three notes at once and is included because it is the grandfather of the whole project and has not been heard before."
- Andrew Lloyd Webber, March 1987.
- Starlight Express - El DeBarge (3:44)
- Engine of Love - Peter Hewlett (3:50)
- Lotta Locomotion - Josie Aiello (2:50)
- There's Me - Peter Hewlett (3:41)
- AC/DC - Josie Aiello (4:30)
- Pumping Iron - Marc Cohn (3:53)
- Engine of Love (1977) - Earl Jordan (3:12)
- Only You - Josie Aiello and Peter Hewlett (3:53)
- The Race Is On - Harold Faltermeyer (3:16)
- Make Up My Heart - Josie Aiello (3:14)
- I Am The Starlight - Richie Havens and Peter Hewlett (4:08)
- One Rock & Roll Too Many - Marc Cohn (4:28)
- Light at the End of the Tunnel - Richie Havens (3:45)
- El DeBarge appears courtesy of Motown Record Corporation.
- Josie Aiello appears courtesy of Phil Ramone, Inc.
- Richie Havens appears courtesy of Connexion Records.
- Album produced by Phil Ramone.
- All tracks produced by Phil Ramone except
- 'Starlight Express' produced by Jay Graydon for New Music, Inc.
- 'Engine of Love (1977)' produced by Andrew Lloyd Webber.
- 'The Race Is On' produced by Harold Faltermeyer.
- Engineered by Wayne Tarnowski.
- Associate Engineers - Peter Hefter and Tim Leitner.
- Production Coordinator - Joe D'Ambrosio.